easily and freely - Science for elementary school, middle school and
Free online chemistry
lesson for elementary school, middle school and high school.
Measuring the mass of liquid
Mass is measured with scales.
Digital scales are more precise and easier to use than mechanichal
scales ( like roberval scales )
The mass of a liquid can't be directly measured by depositing it on the
scale because a liquid is always accompanied by a container.
The mass of a liquid can be measured using one of these two methods:
- Measure the mass of the empty container.
- Pour the liquid into the container and measure the new mass.
- The mass of liquid is obtained by subtracting the mass of the
container to the total mass.
° 2 (Easier and faster):
- Place the empty container on the balance.
- Tare the scale (by pressing the tare button). The scale then displays
- Pour the liquid into the container. The mass of liquid is directly
©2021 Physics and chemistry