Acidic and basic solutions
reaction between iron and hydrochloric acid
|The purpose is to study the
chemical reaction between iron and hydrochloric acid.
- Iron powder (Iron powder is more reactive than compact iron )
- A hydrochloric acid solution.
- A test tube which allows a better observation.
Reaction between iron and
the formation of bubbles which indicate that a gas forms
To understand this chemical reaction we must identify the gaz, and
analyze the composition of the aqueous solution in order to check a
The test for hydrogen gas is positive. This reaction therefore produces
the resulting solution:
- A measurement of pH shows that the latter increased: the solution is
less acidic, hydrogen ions therefore have been consumed.
- The addition of silver nitrate leads to the formation of a white
precipitate which indicates that the chloride ions are still in
- The test for iron (II) ions is positive: Iron (II) ions (Fe 2+)
- The reactants are substances
initially gathered: iron and hydrochloric acid.
- Products are substances that have formed: dihydrogen and iron (II)
ions that form with chloride ions a solution of Iron(II) chloride
+ Iron(II) chloride